Welcome to Bon Temps
¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.

Joe Manganiello

Joe Manganiello Empty Joe Manganiello

Mensaje por Selene Sáb Ago 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Nuestro Alcide se ha unido al reparto de la película Magic Mike para hacer de un stripper llamado Big Dick Richie, con un enorme talento Wink

Más información de la peli y demás aquí: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00043026.html
Selene
Selene
Admin
Admin

http://trueblood.spanishforo.com

Joe Manganiello Empty Re: Joe Manganiello

Mensaje por Selene Jue Ago 25, 2011 12:49 am

Entrevista en la que Joe habla, entre otras cosas, de la cuarta temporada de True Blood y de cómo tuvo que esconder durante su infancia su amor por la interpretación.

So, let’s start with the big issues - Sam was saying he doesn’t like taking his shirt off when he’s in a scene with you.
I don’t think we’ve had to do that yet, have we? He’s safe, I guess, for this season!

What’s the most difficult thing to do on this show?
The most difficult thing is not screwing it up! It’s been a really fun process and I’ve loved building the character up and the research that I get to do - you know hanging out with live wolves and watching endless amounts of wolf documentaries.

Also, combining my athletic background with my classical theatre background which didn’t originally mesh very well, especially when I was a teenager and in my early twenties. I grew up in Western Pennsylvania which is a hot bed for hall of fame NFL football players and when you grow up there and you’re six foot five and you can run, throw, fetch, dunk, you’re not allowed to be sensitive.

So how did you cope with that growing up?
Being an artist? Those two things never fit together and I’ve always had two groups of friends and so I felt like a misfit.

Does it help to be a misfit sometimes?
It does when you get to play one (laughs).

What’s the best thing about being in love? For you personally and for your character, Alcide?
Well, I think the beauty finding love is that there is this taming of the beast inside a man. I thought about this a lot when preparing for my character because as a man from today’s society, I’m descended from hundreds of thousands of years of hunters. But I can’t fight somebody who flips me off in the car whereas a few thousand years ago I’d kill that guy with my club or whatever.

There’s a repression of that nature to dominate or compete that you have to push down within society and I think the werewolves are a metaphor for that. They’re cathartic to the viewer because you become invested and you get to fantasize and see them let that out. And then, of course, the other side of that is this intense vulnerability inside of Alcide’s soul that he desperately needs to balance but hasn’t been able to because werewolves are so base and primitive. I think when he meets Sookie [played by Anna Paquin], he realizes he can let that bunny - the good kind person – out.

What were you like as a kid?
Well, I was very artistic kid growing up and I was very sensitive. I would paint, I would draw, I would write characters. But then, when you’re as big as I am and when you grew up where I grew up, you go into athletics and so I put that artistic sensitive side away to be an athlete for ten years.

Did you have a rough time in high school trying to develop that sensitive side?
Yes, very much, very much. I would always defend kids that were being picked on in high school. But there was this one kid who was always trying to start a fight with me - I was the captain of sporting teams and I knew enough to not engage because I would risk being suspended and hurt my team, so I always just let it go. But the day that basketball season was over, he tried to start a fight with me and I beat this kid so bad that I put him in hospital. I knew that I could have killed him, like I knew it.

How did you feel after? What did that mean for that artistic person in you?
I had just turned 18 and I was alone in the principal’s office and I started to cry. It was the weirdest thing to me and I realized that I was scared about how strong I was, that I could have taken somebody else’s life. And aside from that, I was also upset that he made me do that. There was that killer beast and then also there was this sensitive kid who didn’t want to hurt anyone else and I think about that instance a lot playing Alcide and there are moments at the end of season four where I really get to draw from that.

To touch on another unexpected event in your past - you toured with Goldfinger, the rock band?
Years ago. My friend one of my best friends is the lead singer of Goldfinger. When I didn’t have anything going on, he asked me if I wanted to go on tour with the band so they put me on payroll and paid me to be security - I’d just throw drunk kids off the stage. But I got to tour the world.

Much like you do now! What do you like to do in your spare time?
You know, I love traveling to new places and meeting new fans. I love eating.
I watch [travel and cooking show] No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain, where he travels the world and eats everywhere. That’s definitely something I love to do too.

Are you a good cook?
I never really had enough time to learn but my father is one of the most unbelievable cooks ever. The guy’s incredible. He’s full-blooded Italian but he was born in the States.

Do you speak Italian?
No, I don’t and that’s something that I definitely want to change. I went to Italy for the first time this year and within ten minutes I thought ‘God, I’ve got to learn.’ I love it.

What are some other favourite destinations of yours?
Well, I did a shoot for [men’s magazine] GQ in Santorini, Greece last year, which was beautiful. I also love Australia - I’m coming back in September. I just loved Melbourne. Brisbane was pretty rough. It was like a different breed (laughs). That’s where I was on tour with the Goldfinger so I had to throw kids off the stage and I thought I was going to get into some fist fights.

Have you ever been to Scandinavia?
I haven’t yet, no. I haven’t but I mean I want to go everywhere so obviously I work with Scandinavian people [co-star Alexander Skarsgård] quite a bit.

What would you have done had this career not worked for you?
Well, towards the end of high school I was planning on playing college basketball. I also had a cousin in the FBI and my father had this almost insane passion for justice and so I think channeling that type of energy into high-level law enforcement was something I was looking into as well. I didn’t start to get into acting until the end of high school. But I wound up getting a scholarship to study classical theatre which completely changed the course of everything.

So you were discovered by someone?
No, actually we just had a television studio at my high school and, in the midst of all of the sports, I took television as my elective and I found myself waking up at six in the morning on Saturdays and staying up all night writing characters and scripts for all of my friends. We loved it and that artistic side of me started coming back out. That’s when I decided to start taking some acting classes and the teachers kept urging me to try out for the high school musical but I said ‘No, I’m the captain of the volleyball team, I can’t!’

Has the show boosted your career much?
Well, because of the show, I now get sent scripts to look at. I’m getting ready to start filming a movie at the moment, which was an offer. It’s changed things a lot. I’m getting to sit down with directors and talk about the script rather than just doing an audition. What’s great about this show is that the industry watches it and knows my character and my work already.

Tell us about your upcoming film role!
The film’s called What To Expect When You’re Expecting and I play the perpetually single, jet-setting, surfing photographer who hangs out in a park which is also a meeting place for fathers to complain about how cool their lives used to be. They end up living vicariously through my character’s world travels and escapades.

Did your own father support your acting career?
Well, my dad wanted me to pursue athletics because there were colleges looking at me and that seemed like the safe path. He’s also a very tough guy - showing signs of being sensitive was something he had some trouble with. But here’s the thing, I had a big party for my first episode of True Blood last year and I flew my dad out and took him to dinner where he handed me this bag. Inside, my dad had written me a poem about werewolves.

So he’s also a bunny?
Apparently so (laughs). But he never showed it, I had no idea!

Selene
Selene
Admin
Admin

http://trueblood.spanishforo.com